On the third day of the study tour, we visited the University of California, Berkeley, which is a public research university located in California and the oldest institution in the UC system.
Our program started in the morning with a presentation and a workshop by BBC tech correspondent Richard Taylor on Mobile Media and Producing Visual Stories with the iPhone.
We then met Kathryn Bader, Director of the Office of Communications and Public Affairs as well as Christina Sponselli, Social Media Director at the University Development and Alumni Relations office.
Planning a video shooting
Since we participated in a workshop on how to produce visual stories with the iPhone, I’d like to give you some tips by Richard Taylor that help you prepare a video shoot with your mobile phone:
- Charge your phone battery a few hours before your video shooting
- Turn on your power mode to low
- Check if you need a bright screen: you may adjust it to reduce your battery use if you don’t need it
- Maximize your storage space by deleting any apps that you don’t need
- Shut any location services down
- Use the “do not disturb ” functionality on your Mobile before shooting your video
- Charge your phone from your computer if necessary
Here is a nice testimony from Joy Bolli, Editor and Social Media Manager at ZHAW, about her participation at the workshop, which she enjoyed a lot. It was filmed during the workshop as part as our exercise 🙂
About the author
Myriam Bango is a communications assistant at the Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Lausanne.